19 Battery had the distinction of being the senior Battery in the Royal Artillery. Raised on 26 May 1716 as T. Pattison's Company. It was granted the honour title "Gibraltar 1779 - 83" on 13 Nov 1934 in recognition of its service during the siege of Gibraltar.
From 1779 to 1783 the British in Gibraltar under General Elliott were continuously besieged by overwhelming French and Spanish land and naval forces. The garrison, never more than 7,000 men, facing the constant hazards of disease and starvation, and withstanding successive attacks from fire ships, heavy bombardment and battering ships, held out for year after year against an enemy which at times numbered over 40,000.
The siege was raised on 5 Feb 1783 after 3 years 7 months and 12 days of appalling hardship. Of the 1231 killed, the Royal Artillery suffered the heaviest losses. To commemorate their courage five Battery's now bear the honour title Gibraltar 1779-83."
Since 1945 the Battery has been placed into suspended animation twice. It was finally reformed on 19 July 1955 as 19 (Gibraltar 1779 - 83) heavy Battery with 39 Regiment at Perham Down.
After a tour in Cyprus in 1958 the Battery moved to Sennelager and re-equipped with Honest John Rocket. In 1972 it moved to Dortmund and on 18 March 1977 to Menden converting to the Lance Missile system.
19 Battery along with the other missile Battery provided tactical support to 1 (BR) Corps operating throughout West Germany during the era of the 'Cold War'.
Outside Germany the Battery has seen active service all over the world, including America, South Africa, Malta, UK and more recently Cyprus and Northern Ireland. Several members of the Battery served with units in the Gulf Conflict, bringing the total number of actions fought to 31.
In March 1993 50 Missile Regiment was placed into suspended animation. The Battery title was amalgamated with 5 (Gibraltar) Battery to become 19/5 Gibraltar Battery and was to be based at Larkhill, being the British Battery, in the Allied Command Europe Mobile Force Artillery.
The battery was attached to 26th Regiment RA in October 2007 as a Formation Recce Tac Group and are the fourth Tac Gp within the Regiment. Officially they come under 55 Bty.