26th Regiment RA Association
Royal Regiment of Artillery
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Click to email the Webmaster
Home
History

As the result of a Royal Warrant signed on the 30th June 1779, the Battery was raised at Woolwich on 1st August 1779 as Captain J. Wood's Company, 3rd Battalion Royal Artillery.
After tours of duty in the U.K., the Battery embarked for Gibraltar in 1785. Between 1793 and 1799 the Battery took part in operations in the West Indies, being involved in St. Lucia, Grenada and in the capture of Trinidad, Surinam and the Virgin Islands.
After taking part in the siege of Copenhagen in 1807, and the ill-fated expedition against Walcheren in 1809, the Company became part of the forces of the Duke of Wellington. They were equipped with 9 pounder s. On 16 June 1815, Sandham's Company arrived at Quatre Bras after a gruelling 15-hour march covering the withdrawal of the British and Belgian troops. On the morning of 18th June 1815 the Company was posted between La Haye Sainte and Hougomont in support of the 1st Division, under Maj Gen Cooke. The Company is credited with firing the first shot from the Allied Artillery, and expended over 1,100 rounds during the day. They returned to Woolwich after the Congress of Vienna and were placed in suspended animation on 31st January 1819.
The Company was re-raised in 1854 and sailed for the Crimea taking part in the Battles of Alma, Balaclava and Inkerman, before returning to U.K. in 1856. During the American Civil War they were sent to Canada. After returning to U.K. and Ireland Sandham's Company were posted to India in 1875 but it was 1899 before the Battery again saw action in the Boer War where it was part of the Ladysmith Relief Force. At Colenso on 15th December 1899 Captain H.L. Reed RFA won the Victoria Cross.
From 1902-1914 Sandham's Company was sent to India returning to Europe in November 1914 in support of the Meerut Division of the Indian Corps. It took part in the Battles of Ypres, Neuve Chappelle and Loos. In 1915 it embarked for Mesopotamia landing at Basra in January 1916, where they accompanied the force sent to relieve Kut-al-Amara.
In 1917 the Battery was involved in the capture of Baghdad and continued to fight against the Turks for the rest of the year. After Armistice the Battery was based in the U.K. returning to India in 1929, where it was centred on Rawalpindi and the North West Frontier.
At the outbreak of World War Two, the Battery was sent to Alexandria and thence to Eritrea and Syria. The Battery participated in the Battle of the Cauldron in June 1942 and El Alamein in October. The Battery moved to India in 1943 and continued to fight in Burma until the end of the War, taking part in the Battles of Imphal and Meiktila.
After the War the Battery remained overseas seeing service in Malaya and the Middle East, arriving back in the U.K. in 1955 and returning to Singapore and Malaya between 1960-1963. The Battery subsequently served continuously in West Germany and the U.K., with emergency tours in Cyprus, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Kosovo.

The Battle of Waterloo, 1815